Saturday, May 8, 2010

Dog Spelled Backwards



This past Wednesday I was involved in a car accident. It could've been alot worse. I am lucky I got away with only minor injuries. However, the next few days after were not particularly fun. The soreness and stiffness had definitely set in and I was left to recooperate in my bed or on my couch.
During this time, my usually hyper, energetic terrier mix was quietly observing me. Whether she was hovering over me on the top of the couch or lying on the bed by my feet, she did not leave my side, not once. Nor did she complain about our boring existence for the rest of the week. No walks, no playing tug and only going outside for bathroom breaks didn't really seem to bother her.
I have to wonder if she knew what was wrong. Did she know that I had just experienced a very scary incident? Could she tell that I was hurt, sore, not myself?
Every morning she gets out of her bed and comes running into mine to make sure I am still there and, I think, ok.
Dogs are such "in tune" creatures. We use them in police work, protection work and search and rescue. They lend their intuition/senses to us in the form of service dogs, helping the blind, the epileptic, etc. I want to give credit to not only my little girl but to all the dogs out there that help us humans work out our issues and problems, our pains and our struggles. Curiously enough, ask yourself, what is dog spelled backwards?

No comments: