Tuesday, February 10, 2009

When will we learn?


How often do I hear dog owners say "My dog would never bite anyone"? I hear it too much for my liking. How many children will have to suffer wounds or even death before full grown, mature, adults will realize that you should never trust your dog around a child.
It is so easy to prevent, but still I hear about children suffering from dog attacks almost everyday. How stupid are these people? I know I sound harsh but reality is a dog is a dog.
Your dog is not a babysitter, or a sibling to your child. Your dog is an animal that has been humanized by today's society. We feel that our pets are part of the family, that they know right from wrong when it comes to our children. This way of thinking is so unfair to the dog as well as the child that is being exposed to that animal.
Why can't we just accept the fact that it's not a good idea to leave your child unsupervised with a dog? I have seen videos of babies crawling on the floor with dogs, face to face, eeeek!! I watch those videos with my heart in my mouth, just waiting for the dog's reaction. These movies are considered cute, heartwarming entertainment...what?? Am I missing something? In reality people should feel a stroke or heart attack coming on when seeing these pictures or watching these videos.

I guess we will never learn, as I read in the news about another child dying from a dog attack. So sad.

No comments: